Best Carrot Cake Recipe with Step by Step Video
Ever since I had my first carrot cake I was constantly looking for a recipe that would give me the flavor I enjoy the most. My first recipe was taken from the Graham Kerr’s Galloping Gourmet cookbook I owned in my college days. But I didn’t enjoy it that much so I went on looking for a good one and now finally, I have discovered a recipe that with few more tweaks gives me ultimate taste. For anyone else who likes moist and delicious carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, here’s the recipe:
- FOR THE CAKE:
- all-purpose flour - 2 cups (10 ounces / 285g)
- Granulated Sugar - 1 cup (200g)
- Brown Sugar - 1 cup packed (6 ounces / 170g)
- Ground Cinnamon - 2 teaspoons
- Salt - ½ teaspoon
- Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda - 1 teaspoon
- Eggs - 4 large
- Vanilla Extract - 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable Oil - 1½ cups (257ml)
- Shredded Carrots - 12 to 14 ounces (340-400g) (about 5 carrots, peeled and shredded to yield 3 cups)
- For the Frosting/Icing:
- Confectioners Sugar - 1 16-ounce (454g) package powdered
- Cream Cheese - 1 8-ounce (226g) package
- Butter - ½ pound (113g)
- Pecan Pieces - 1 cup (4 ounces / 113g)
Directions for Easy Carrot Cake:
Heat oven up to 350°F or 177°C and Grease 2 or 3 cake pans with butter or oil and dust flour on it.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients that are eggs, vanilla extract, oil and 3 cups of peeled and shredded carrots. Combine all the mixtures in one bowl (dry and wet) and mix well until you get a smooth batter.
Pour the mixed batter into prepared cake pans. For 2 pans, bake for about 40 to 45 minutes. For 3 pans, bake for about half an hour. To check, insert a toothpick at the centre of the cake. It should come out clean. Remove cake from the oven and let it cool at room temperature. Carefully remove the cakes form the pans.
Directions for Frosting:
Combine the frosting ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Layer the cake with frosting and insert other layer. Cover the top of the cake with the frosting and garnish with fruits and nuts and refrigerate.
STEP-BY-STEP Guide to Carrot Cake.
- You will need about 5 to 6 carrots, enough to fill 3 cups. Over here I have used corn oil. But you can use substitutes.
- Shred Carrots. You can use a shredder or your food processor. Peel before shredding.
- Heat up the oven up to 350°F or 177°C before preparing the batter because this recipe combines quickly. Grease the pans with oil or butter. Or layer up the circle with butter paper or parchment paper. Fit paper in the pan, grease and flour it as well. Here I have used 2 pans but you can use 3 as well to make a three-layered cake.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl like flour, grounded sugar, brown sugar, grounded cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix it well with a whisk.
- Similarly in another bowl combine all the wet ingredients like eggs, vanilla and oil and mix it. Also add carrots to wet mixture and mix well to blend. Distribute the batter into 2 or 3 pans.
- Bake for about 45 minutes for 2 pans and about 35 minutes for 3 pans. Test your cake with a toothpick when baked. Insert it at the centre of the cake. If the cake is done toothpick should come out clean. I prefer a digital thermometer because it is more accurate. The temperature of a baked cake is around 205°F or 96°C.
- Prepare icing when the cake is getting ready. Cream cheese frosting is the best for this cake. Combine powdered sugar, cream cheese and butter and mix well. After the cake it done. Let it cool down at room temperature before you begin frosting.
- For frosting insert cake layer into the plate and frost the top. Insert another layer of cake and frost that with icing as well. Repeat for third layer. Frost the top layer. For decoration, garnish with nuts or dried fruits.
- Refrigerate to set up the frosting. Then serve.
You can easily find Moist Carrot Cake Recipes around; especially Nigella Lawson, Delia Smith and Betty Crocker recipes are really famous. But do try this one too as it tastes great and is easy to make. I finally found a recipe I could enjoy again and again. Do try it.